Monday, November 27, 2017

Falling off the Blog Train

I do believe it's been quite a while since I last updated. Somehow an entire season has passed without a (leaf) peep from me. Sorry about that! 
This fall was a busy time of hopping about to different locations for short periods of time, and I never quite had time to settle in anywhere. That, combined with the increase in intensity and anticipation I always feel when the weather turns colder, made the past few months seemingly go by in a flash.

Here it is in a nutshell: after New Zealand I spent two weeks in Craftsbury recovering and putting in some speed work, then two and half weeks at home in Park City for the USST camp. Then I had two weeks back in Craftsbury, where I came down with a sinus infection then recovered from it, two weeks traveling back and forth to Foret Mont-Morency for on-snow camps, then a week and a half training and prepping in Craftsbury, and then to West Yellowstone! Yes, I know, a whirlwhind, but don't worry, I do have photos from it all. Aside from the short sickness, fall training was mostly consistent and encouraging, and now the race season is officially underway, so my favorite time of year is here.

A moody fall day for a hike on Mt. Belvidere with Caitlin
back in September

We finished off the bike season with a few school group sessions.
Fearless Asa took on the wave (with friends on the side to spot)

Out in Park City, I was happy to be in fall colors
and running with my favorite pooch Marty

Pretty flowers for the Mama, thanks to
the lovely Liz Stephen!

A nice recovery hike in Emigration Canyon with friends

Fast and Female in Park City- running the SkiErg station with Rosie
and encouraging the girls to go for max watts. So fun to see them
challenge themselves

Back to Craftsbury and backyard sunsets over Mt. Mansfield.
A literal "bright spot" in my week of being sick

Halloween ski costumes have to be creative if you want to ski in
them. L to R: me dressed as Ben, Kait as a Craftsbury junior circa
2008, Hallie in an awesome onesie, Caitlin as an oil slick/psychedelic
zebra

With Ben, the inspiration for my costume! Happy to be back on
snow in the Foret

Pain face at the NENSA rollerski invitational.
Thanks NENSA for putting on an awesome
race.

And back to Foret! You know you have an awesome coach when
she dances on the side of the course before intervals (Photo Caitlin 

Patterson)

Putting in the k's with Kait (Photo Caitlin Patterson)

Hamster wheeling on the 2k loop, but we were so happy to be
on snow! (Photo Caitlin Patterson)

The whole Foret crew! Thanks Craft, Skida, and Julbo for
outfitting the team

Enjoying one of my last evenings in Craftsbury.
Puppies and wood stoves and warm drinks=
perfection. 

And now I'm in West Yellowstone
with another favorite puppy and my
family!

Race morning sunrise in West

It makes my heart so happy to be reunited with former teamie
Heather, who's skiing in Bozeman now. 

The team hopped in a 5k freestyle race this past Saturday. In contrast with my usual memories of perfect snow and cold temperatures in West, we've had challenging conditions since we arrived a week ago. First some rain, then freezing, and then more rain, then warm temps have taken out most of the base on the Rendezvous trails. Needless to say, it was an icy 5k out there, but it's impressive they were able to hold a race at all. I placed 15th, but very much consider it a warm-up race after just four days at altitude. I'll be chasing good race feelings and continuing to adjust to the altitude, and can't wait for the SuperTours this coming weekend! Plus, it's snowing in West right now on our off day, so we're hoping the trails will be in much better condition come Saturday.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment